I had been putting off working on my sewing room for a long time because I didn’t know what to do with it and I didn’t want to start with out a plan. Then while shopping for wedding dresses with Gina in New West, we came across this beautiful bridal store and I was hit with a burst of inspiration.
The shop had hand crafted and custom bridal gowns that were mind blowing. I was in heaven looking at all the creations. Then, out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of the greatest idea of all time. They had taken old sewing patterns and decoupaged them all over one of the walls. BRILLIANT. Then and there I knew exactly what I wanted to do with my sewing room.
I decided to put sewing patterns on two walls and have the other two painted a great colour. I really wanted to try and keep costs down so I decided to use some of the leftover paint we had from painting the rest of the house. For the two walls that I was going to decoupage, I painted them with left over paint from our master bath, a nice off white. For the two walls that I was not going to decoupage, I mixed the feature wall colour and main wall colour from our master bedroom, to create this beautiful blue.
I was debating putting up the full sheets that the patterns come on or cutting out each piece individually, but decided the labour intensive work of cutting everything out was going to look much better. However, because of that, I almost ran out of patterns.
Thankfully my Mom had kept all of our old patterns, so I took 7 or 8 patterns from high school, cut them up and glued them on. I headed out to my old place of business (remember that summer I worked in a warehouse with Drew?) Creative Children and picked up a 1L jug of Mod Podge and went to town.
Side note – for a project this big, a paint brush works much better than a foam brush traditionally used.
It was a lot of work to do, but I think the results speak for themselves. What I should have done was start off with all the large pieces and placed them all over the walls, taking advantage of their size, then go back and fill in the holes with the smaller pieces, but I only realized that half way through the process. Either way, it worked out in the end.
I love the colour of the patterns and the way it contrasts against the blue. I have a bunch of pine shelving that I will be putting up this weekend that will tie in with the colour very nicely.
I also love how the patterns have my name and class block number all over them.
I am so happy with the way it turned out and I am so happy that I waited to work on the space until I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I knew a great idea would come to be eventually.